Saturday, November 05, 2005

Adding ad revenue to social bookmarking

From Mike's comment a couple posts ago, I realize I hadn't been clear about what I'm aiming for from del.icio.us, BlinkList, MyWeb2.0, or any other social bookmarking sites. In short, I want ad revenue capabilities anywhere I've got content specific to my interests - including my social bookmarks.

Here's the email thread between me and del.icio.us support:

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 07:18:42 -0800 (PST)
From: "Chris"
Subject: AdSense/YPN capabilities?
To: support@del.icio.us
Hi,
It seems like social bookmark sites like del.icio.us are a great additional place to host
AdSense/YahooPublishingNetwork ads, as it's still content specific to my website target audience's interests, but I don't want to point people to del.icio.us but away from potential ad revenue on my website. If there were also ads that provided me revenue on del.icio.us, that wouldn't be a concern.

Is there any plan to incorporate dynamic ad capabilities into del.icio.us?
Thanks, Chris


Subject: [del.icio.us #] AdSense/YPN capabilities?
From: "Joshua Schachter" support@del.icio.us
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:03:58 -0500 (EST)
Joshua Schachter wrote:
We may add some advertising in the future, but we hope to keep it low-key.We are trying to provide tools to let you take your data out of delicious and use it to keep your website organized (where obviously you could run your own advertising.) Joshua


Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 06:11:10 -0800 (PST)
From: "Chris"
Subject: Re: [del.icio.us #2926] AdSense/YPN capabilities?
To: support@del.icio.us

Hi Joshua,

The text ads have pretty good buy-in as being low-key, and have a lot of support from most web admins as opposed to adding the flashing ads of 1999. To be honest, I will probably end up being a loyal user of whichever social bookmarking site provides ad revenue first.

I currently use the tools to display my del.icio.us links on my website, but Google/YPN don't recognize that text as it's just a JS snippet of code, not the actual link text. On the del.icio.us site, the actual link text is in the source code of the page. This is a great opportunity for ad revenue, and I would guess if you polled your user base and asked if they wanted to the ability to gain revenue from context-appropriate ads based on their del.icio.us items, they'd love it...

Chris


Now obviously I don't really care yet if I point people away from my blog, as you might have noticed from the brilliant "My blog is worth $0.00" icon on the right hand side.

From an "incoming information" standpoint, though, half of the content I collect from the web is collected in the del.icio.us column on the right hand site of the blog, from ongoing static sites I'm collecting relevant to my interests. (The other half is my list of RSS feeds, which currently isn't social either but I don't care so much about that). All of that del.icio.us info I'm collecting isn't captured for scanning on my blog (it's bundled into one line of HTML from the del.icio.us site) for targeted ads, but targeted ads also aren't available on del.icio.us at the source of my collecting that content.

Is there a flaw I'm not seeing, or wouldn't this be a great opportunity to enhance the value of social bookmarking sites?


1 Comments:

At 11/06/2005 7:28 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Mind Valley, who knows - but at least the possibility would be there...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home